Having a pencil case stocked with the right tools is a great starting point.
At school, it ensures that valuable learning time, when the teacher is explaining a new method for example, is not wasted whispering to friends, asking to borrow a pen, or a pencil, or a ruler. At home, it ensures that homework is quicker to complete, with fewer delays rooting round the house for bits and pieces.
Essential items that every student should have in their pencil case include:
- 2 pencils (preferably use retractable pencils to avoid the hassle of sharpening)
- 2 pens (one black, one blue – buy rollerballs if possible)
- 1 eraser (Maped are very good quality)
- 1 pencil sharpener (unless the pencils are automatic)
- 1 30cm ruler (shatterproof)
- 1 GCSE level calculator (preferably the Casio FX85GTPlus, or similar)
- 1 protractor (preferably 360 degrees)
- A pair of compasses with suitable pencil
Having the right tools increases confidence, and self-esteem. It reaffirms in each child, the notion that learning, and studying, are important. By starting to take responsibility for bringing the right tools to school, students begin to take responsibility for their own learning.